Nomination letter for Director-at-Large for Mike Maul

This letter is to nominate Michael Maul AERC #8941 for
the position of Director-at-Large

I have been involved in endurance riding as a rider, a
ride volunteer, and Internet supporter for the past ten
years. For the past two years I have served on the AERC
Technical Committee.  For the past 5 years - I (along
with Steph Teeter and Russ Humphrey) have developed and
supported Internet services for AERC members.  This
includes the AERC web page, the on-line ride calendar,
the on-line Rider/Horse histories, the current on-line
ride results, the on-line points standings access, and
the Central region homepage. I have provided international
Internet coverage for the 1996 WEC and the PanAm
Championship in 1999. I am also a member of AERC International.

Our organization and members are facing significant
decisions in the next few years. Among the challenges we
face are:

*	The decrease in 100 mile ride participation and
the increasing numbers of members and families interested
in 50s, Limited Distance, and multiday rides.

*	Assessing the goals we want for ourselves and
our equine partners - from "To Finish is to Win" to just
riding for fun to the National Championships

*	How to address the changing environment for access
and use of trails - both by us and other groups.

*	How to merge the view and philosophies of international
endurance riding with the goals of our own members? How
should AERC participate in the world-wide endurance community?

*	How do we grow our organization in both membership
and purpose without losing our traditions but still be able
to adapt to changes and challenges?

I believe a Director at Large should represent more than
just a regional view - each region already has two Directors
who serve that regional function.  A Director at Large's
constituency is the whole national membership. I have lived,
ridden, and competed in three AERC regions - Northeast for
CTR (ECTRA) and endurance and Central and West for endurance.
In each of those regions, I have been active in and supported
local endurance groups. My experience gives me a unique "big
picture" view of AERC on a national level.

I can bring a different perspective to the Board of Directors
which can help us in making the decisions that will guide us
in the future while still preserving a most important role -
one of making this wonderful sport safe and healthy for our
equine partners. I don't have as much prior experience on AERC
committees as some of the other nominees - so perhaps I can
look at things in a slightly different way. . I have extensive
experience in business management, the electronics industry,
a good perspective on the Internet and how it can be used which
I bring to the Board of Directors position.

I believe we need to encourage the diverse interests in
activities from LD to 100s and find ways to increase the
participation in all of them.  Goals are important to many
of us - and whether they are total miles, riding for completions
or LD awards - I support an awards plan that will give every
member a meaningful and realistic goal to work toward.

I also believe we must participate in some way in the
international endurance scene - we started the sport and we
need to contribute our voice to its evolution.  It will happen
with or without our participation.  If we don't participate -
we lose any chance to have an impact in its future.

We must participate in trails management and advocacy.  If we
do not - we lose access to many of the beautiful sites that
help make this sport so rewarding - and that are vital to
the success of our organization in the long-term.

If elected as a Director at Large - I will work with the
members and other Directors to address these challenges we face.

We must find solutions that support our long-standing philosophy
of "To Finish is to Win" and, at the same time, recognize
that endurance is a dynamic sport that must continue to adapt
in order to thrive.

Mike Maul
Sunnyvale, CA
Houston, TX