training and rest

Maja benman@swipnet.se
I am intersting in knowing about different ideas on how to condition your horse when it comes to competetions beyond 50 miles. There are so many different theories on the quota rest/conditioning. I live in Sweden where endurance is a fairly new sport. We do not have many riders that ride more than 50 miles. Next summer I am planning on doing longer rides.
What distances do you compete, with what goals (speed - probably differs from here)? Here we take a break for winter - how about you? What about restingperiods, intervall training, other forms of training. What is the ultimate training schedule for at horse to go 100 miles and how many years of traing would you say it includes, after you have completed your first season of 50 miles competions.
Sincerely Maja