Personal responsibility

I strongly feel that anyone who makes a choice based on reasonable info
should accept the consequences, just like they do the rewards.  In a sport
like endurance, there will be risks.  Anyone involving themselves or their
loved ones has got to realize that they *chose* to be there - they could
also have stayed home.  Personal responsibility involves accepting ALL the
results of your choices.

If you want to be a reporter, you don't blame someone else if you get shot
in a war zone.  If you want to surf the Great Barrier Reef, you don't blame
someone else if you get bit by a shark.  If you want to get on a horse and
ride a long ways in an AERC sanctioned event and something happens to you
other than getting a completion award, I say accept it as a consequence of
your choice to be there.  If you can't do that, just stay home.

My mom has always said "you have to pay the piper".  I don't think any of
us is perfect.  We all make choices that don't always have the results we
hope for.  We all interact with other people who also aren't perfect and
aren't making perfect choices.  Life is risky.  Sadly enough, too many
people seem to want to live fairy tale lives in which "risk" only involves
the good parts, not the bad.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html