Cold weather

Jolynn Maynard jolmayna@whitepine.k12.nv.us
I live in Eastern NV and ride my horses all winter.  First I try to cool them out good on the ride home, if they are still damp at all and it is cold out then I don't put any water on them.  I put a cooler (wool blanket won on the track), this covers them from ears to tail losely and I let them graze on my lawn or eat their grain with the cooler on while I finish my other chores.  Then I brush the horse completely to remove sweat.  Personally, I am afraid to put water on my horse when it gets down in the low 40's or lower.  Of course I work so that I ride in the evenings and get back at dark, so the temp is really dropping then.

I along with many others am tired of the thrashing the Lewis family is taking.  To each his own.  My children were on their own horses and on 12 hour cattle drives when they were 3-4 years old, in the winter.  Yes, my kids had their falls and scraps but we happen to be a very close family because we did everything together, work or play!  My kids have never tried drugs, alcohol, tobacco etc.  They were working to hard to have time for such nonsense.  Congratulations Cliffy on a great job!  Congratulations Mom and Dad for allowing you kids to participate with you.