Re: RC: Forgot one point Re Sac sale

In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:07:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I also wanted to mention that Cory Soltau, while well known for
 his halter Arabs, I understand that Cory has also been breeding
 endurance athletes for many years .I hope that the halter guys
 can help pay the bill for the endurance breeding program!
 I believe that Joy Pritchard, who also had horses at the sale
 does the same. If I'm wrong or inaccurate, I beg your pardon
 for saying too much. but then why doesn't some lurker who knows
 more enlighten us all. >>

Cory and Joy have been involved with endurance for a long time (over 25
years).  Cory's parents were breeding Arabs as he was growing up, and Joy
tells me she is addicted to horses, just as most of us are in this sport.
Showing is advertising and is something a breeder pretty well needs to do in
order to cover costs in the breeding program.  Both Cory and Joy breed for
athleticism.  You won't find "living works of art" (how I hate that phrase)
who are just cute and flighty and flying around at their ranches.  Beautiful,
yes, but beauty with athletic correctness and the ability to go out on the
trail and endure.  Cory rode one of his champion mares in 100 mile rides, and
one of his old, very successful, and now deceased endurance horses came from
Joy's breeding, as well as one he has now. Sheila Varian's breeding program
stemmed from Bay Abi and a bunch of Polish mares, and she used to gather
cattle and rope calves on Bay Abi.  She still breeds for athleticism.  A
breeder cannot cover costs by selling just endurance horses.  Endurance
riders won't (or can't) pay enough, but there is money in selling show
horses, if they are good enough or promoted enough.

Barbara