Re: RC: re: worlds youngest rider

In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:02:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ribbitttreefrog@yahoo.com writes:

<< I wonder if Tiger as a
 semi-adult feels this was wrong of his parents to do. >>

Why is Tiger Woods, as a man of over 21 years, considered a "semi-adult"?  I
really think our society is molly-coddling our youngsters.  I heard something
over the TV recently about "kids", referring to someone in his mid to late
20s.  Sorry, folks, these are NOT kids any longer.  I'm related to several
men, my grandfather and father for example, and also my husband, who were
working in a grown man's world at anywhere from age 13 to 18.  And I can't
see that it hurt any one of them.  They just turn out to be REAL men and
adults, rather than overgrown "kids".  (Works for girls, too).
I don't believe in the "sweat shops" of yesteryear, but I don't believe in
preventing or limiting teens from working at real jobs nowadays, either.
Work and responsibility, from early on in life, is a very maturing
experience.  Maybe a little more of it would have benefitted some of the most
notorious troublemakers in our society. (Ooops, I promised to get off my
soapbox, and I didn't).

Barbara