Toddlers

Hi RC.; After recieving a number of interesting responses, I would like to
summarize my thoughts.
Yes nomadic tribes travel on horseback, but not in competition pitting
chilren against adults at high speed. Also child mortality rates are higher
in third world countries and were in the good old days.
No I do not have a personal vendetta against these people, and yes it's nice
for little kids to be raised in fresh air and sunshine with horses and other
pets.
However..It was interesting to read this week about the girl who's horse
dumped her, knocked her unconscious, and ran off. I also met a lovely,
champion rider who was knocked off her horse by such a runaway, in full view
of her husband, and wound up being airlifted to a trauma center. I can tell
you all with absolute certainty, that if ANY three year old child in an
endurance ride, had such an accident, and was airlifted to ANY regional
trauma center, that Someone on the medical team would question the
circumstances. Medical people are not necessarily fond of any creatures on
earth, and many dislike livestock. (imagine that) If the Medical staff
member (Doctor, Nurse, Psychologist, of Social Worker) SUSPECTED that it was
an innappropriate or potentially dangerous situation that the kid had been
put in, they would be mandated by law to report their suspicions to Child
Protective services, who are mandated by law to investigate. Not to mention
that if the kid was in a wreck that smashes the hell out of an adult, they
would be less likely to live through it. If parents do these kinds of
activities with their kid, it might be useful to realize that there are
potential consequences that may occur, if they come into contact with people
less sympathetic than us riders (who aren't very sympathetic either ).
My two daughters both ride, both have fallen while I was holding the pony.
Once was a bee avoidance situation, and once was a leisurely turn on the
forehand. They were okay, but I know that my local E.R. doctor would have
reemed me if I had needed to bring them in, he chewed me out when I brought
myself in.
So there it is. Beth