Re: Shannon's Itchy Horse

I'm going to answer each question below so that I am thorough...
thanks so much...

<<<<<> Can you tell us more about the type of sores and itching? >>>

The sores are probably all about the size of coins and were running
clear with blood mixed in...now they are dry and crusty.  The area is
bald and is all along his midline.  However, he seems to be itchy all
over.  He's tailrubbing badly and tearing up his mane and the front of
his neck and even on his face...well...he's itchy everywhere it seems.

<<<Where do you
> live and what is your climate like?  >>>

I'm in north Georgia.  It is hot and humid....finally cooling off
some.

<<<<What are the sores like?  Were they blisters, raw skin, missing
patches
> of hair, infected in any way?  Any odor to the sores?>>

No odor and they don't appear to be infected and it doesn't seem to be
fungal.  He is bald on his midline and it is clear/blood crusty now.
Just not healing up though.

<<<His this horse
> shared tack (girth or cinch with other horses). >>>

Only since this problem got really bad and I couldn't use the
centerfire rigging I had on him.  I borrowed a couple saddles then,
but none of the other horses are sick in this way at all.

<<<Different shampoo?>>

Just a betadine shampoo to try to help this and it did seem to help
for a day or two with the all over itchies...not the midline.

<<>   Any
> toxic plants in his environment?>>

Is bitterweed toxic?  It is everywhere.  We had him on an
antihistimine that didn't help though as we initially suspected that
was the culprit.

Treating this like summer sores and a reaction to the midgefly bites
has seemed fairly accurate.  He has gotten a little better since this
course of action.  Each worming with Ivermectin has made things
initially worse just like the vet said it would if this was the
problem.  The sores are just taking forever to heal.  I am going to
follow someone's recommendation and slather him with SWAT under
there....I know the flies are still aggravating things and suspect
that is slowing down the healing process.    I talked to the vet
earlier and he is getting another steroid shot ready for me to pick up
tomorrow.  Do any of these symptoms sound like those things you
mentioned?

Shannon