sores

Sorry for crossposting, but I am in need of the collective wisdom of
*all* my horse buddies on this one.  Bear with me...I'll try to be as
brief as possible.  My 4yo TWH gelding, Ranger, has sores all along
his belly and is itchy all over.  He's been this way all summer...I
haven't been able to ride him in over a month because of sores at his
girth.  The vet has been out and we first treated it as an allergy to
the bitterweed in the pasture.  He's boarded at a overgrazed, poorly
managed farm by my house...I'm buying a farm as we speak because I
want my boy HOME.  He didn't get any relief from the allergy meds and
betadine bath I gave him.  We then began treating it as a parasite or
summer sores.  He has been wormed twice with ivermectin two weeks
apart and moved from the pasture in which he was rubbing his belly on
branches.  He was also treated for 7 days with a DMSO, Hydrocortisone
and Furisone mix.  He improved a ton and now the sores are dry but
still there.  They just won't go away and he's still itchy.  I'm
calling my vet back today also, but thought that one of you might have
some words of wisdom for me.  I absolutely ADORE this horse and don't
like seeing him so uncomfortable.  Thanks in advance for any advice
you can give.  On a sidenote...this is his first summer at this
farm...last summer he was at a different farm and he was perfectly
fine.
Shannon