Lassen Challenge Ride

Suzanne Jessen SJess1@aol.com
I just got back from doing the Lassen C. ride.  As alwasy Sandi Hess did a fantastic job!!!!  I did hear some disturbing news though, she has been putting on this ride for 19 years!!!  yes, 19 years.  Ususal RM burnout is 10 years, well anyway, Sandi said this was probably her last year as she has been having trouble getting her ride sanctioned every year, the last few years due not to Forest Management as one might think in this day of losing trails, no it is from within AERC and the "person" who does the sanctioning of rides.  She keeps giving Sandi the run around.  Sandi turns in her rides results along with the proper sanctioning papers for the next years ride to get it locked in, but this "person" ignores the request, somehow "misplaces" the request and puts other rides on the date that Sandi has requested.  This year is a prime example.  After being lead being put through the "proverbial wringer" Sandi was told she could have the 30th of Sept as no other rides were on that date, then lo an behold, what does this "person" do? She puts another ride on that date also!  Wouldn't you think that a RM who has been putting on rides for 19 years would be able to get her date a year in advance with no problems?  Well Sandi has had it with all the run arounds and said that this was possibly her last ride.
What we now need from all of you riders is to write, fax, email our Sanctioning person and AREC Board of Directors and  let them know how we feel!  I know I don't want to lose this ride.  We are losing to many rides as it is without losing one because of "someone" yanking a RM chain.  PLEASE lets all do our part in keeping this ride going!!!!!!
Thank you
Sue Jessen
SJess1@aol.com