Joint Nutraceuticals

Since getting my horse Roo in April, I have habitually heard some "creaking" in the joints on his hind limbs.  The creaking is much like my knees and hips sound when stiff and tired and/or cold.  This creaking noise hasn't changed into any lameness of any kind, nor has it seemed to affect the fluidity of his movement behind.  He mostly warms up out of the creaking noise when ridden.  I can occasionally hear a "pop" when riding, but only rarely.  I'm considering starting on Corta-Flx.  While doing my product search I came across a couple of other products that sound promising.  I'm actually looking for a liquid because Roo is on a "dry" feed, i.e. no molasses for powders to stick to, so I found these liquids when looking around

The same folk who make Corta-Flx also make a product called Corta-Flx Plus which is kind of a combination of the original Corta-Flx and BL Solution (used to be called Bute-Less I think).  This should be a double-strength combination of Corta-Flx with anti-inflammatory/analgesic devil's claw and yucca.  I'm pretty sure given the yucca levels, it is not legal for competition in AERC.  I'm actually guessing about this, but any level of yucca high enough to be of therapeutic benefit has to be high enough to be illegal

The Corta-Flx folk are also releasing a product called Hemoflx, which is Corta-Flx Plus (above) along with Hemogen (has a hematinic effect).  Designed to help with blood counts along with joints (Roo darling is still lowish in his counts as of last CBC/Chem panel).  Hemoflx probably has the same issue of not being legal for AERC because of the yucca.

A product very similar to Corta-Flx Plus is also Power-Flex (made by Select The Best), but again the yucca issue.   And also with another product I liked called Fluid Action made by Finish Line.

Has anyone used any of these 3 products (Hemoflx is not on the market yet)?  Did they perform as expected?  Would it be possible to use the Corta-Flx Plus until a couple of weeks before a ride then switch to the original formula (without the yucca) for the time leading up to a ride?  I know that all of these joint nutraceuticals must be fed consistently or you don't get much effect.  Or do this sound like overkill for a simple creaking problem?

-Tamara
“Maybe I shouldn't have told Stan I reprogrammed his DNA through the LAN. Those marketing guys believe anything. They even believe market research, for heaven's sake. There's no telling what the power of suggestion might do.”

http://www.mindspring.com/~nis75p06/
AOL Instant Messenger:  Conthesis
ICQ: 49294214

Judge's Chambers.gif