charges for e-mail

As reccomended by someone on ridecamp, I wrote my member of congress - Bill Thomas: First Congressioanl District of California.  Here is his reply regarding e-mail and internet charges.

Bill Thomas writes:

Recalling your opposition to taxes levied on e-mail, I think you may
be interested to know about some of the measures passed by the House of
Representatives on this and other issues relating to high technology.

* House Concurrent Resolution 190-This resolution urges the United
States to pursue a global moratorium on taxes on "e-commerce."  Millions of
Americans use the Internet for shopping and for other services and the
Republican Congress is committed to stopping any attempts by the Clinton
Administration or foreign nations to use this revolutionary medium for a
cash grab.

* Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (or
"E-Sign Act")-This bill establishes a nationwide standard for electronic
signatures, so that electronic signatures carry the same force of law as
paper signatures.

* The Internet Tax Freedom Act-This bill establishes a three year ban
on state and local taxes on the Internet, and protects against the
imposition of new tax liability for consumers and vendors involved in
commercial transactions over the Internet

* The Security and Freedom through Encryption Act (or "SAFE" Act)-This
bill would permit the export of strong, American-made encryption software
that is already available from foreign nations, and would prohibit the
federal government from mandating that citizens only use products that the
government can access without consent.

In the coming months, the House will debate additional measures related to
promotion of the Internet and to enacting stricter protections of our online
privacy.  As the House proceeds, I will keep you advised of additional
action.

Best Regards,
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
WILLIAM M. THOMAS