Re: RC: Re: States

In a message dated 01/23/2000 4:18:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
danugna@transport.com writes:

<< > Good grief paradise!  But how come all the californians are moving to
 Reno?
 > Pam in Reno

 Ahhh, I don't think they ALL moved to Reno.  As a born and bred Oregonian I
 now constitute a minority in my own state.  Guess who there are more of. >>

Just for a change of viewpoint .... My side of the family came to CA in 1890
and settled in the same county I live in yet.  When I married I moved only 25
miles within the same county.  My husband's family settled the property we
live on in 1869 and it's into its 6th generation on the same land.  We're
very fortunate ... it's still wild country around us.  So much of CA is
overpopulated, so many have moved elsewhere, searching for open space.  I do
tell people who remark about how lucky we are that with the privilege comes
enormous responsibility.  We are bound to the land by responsibility .... for
its upkeep, its welfare, for keeping it wild and free (as much as  possible
while still supporting us).  And much as I often wondered what it would be
like to sample life for one year in some completely different area with
strongly defined seasons, we are not free to do that.  We will never be able
to move or sell ... you just don't do that with the heritage of the family
having lived on the property for 130 years.  I'm certainly not complaining,
but I love to explore and sample what life has to offer.  We're not free to
do that.  We do have marvellous riding around here, miles and miles of trails
on our own land and that of our neighbors, both private and corporate.  We
can ride in two counties and can easily access 100 miles of trail (hence the
birth of Swanton Pacific 100) and much more.

Barbara