Horse 7 - Riders 0

> Hello Marv!
> I've been listening with great interest to your RP discussions.  I really
> like your logic.  Where are you located?  Do you ever do anything near Ohio?
> We've got a major problem boy who is about 7 & 0 for bucking off riders.
> Arabian powerhouse, and what I refer to as a fear bucker.  Major potential
> in our sport if you can stay on the first 50 miles.  Very frustrating. Has
> absolutely no trust in anyone on his back (or on the ground for that
> matter). We never abused him, but somebody did!

How do you know "somebody" abused him?  How do you know this
horse is not in great pain?

If you saw 100 horses with a particular characteristic, oh, I
don't know off-hand, let's say axis-atlas twisting, 95% of whom
spooked at orange Asplundh tree trucks, and someone brought a
horse to you that spooked at orange Asplundh tree trucks, what
would be the first thing you would look at?

It's kinda like that with horses who display the characteristics
you describe.  Many Arabs have a HIGH degree of physical tension
that earns them the "Crazy arab" label.  This tension very often
makes them extremely sensitive to touch AND also creates physical
stresses that can traumatize muscles and pull skeletal structures
out of alignment.

Traditional vets almost always fail to diagnose these situations.
Nothing against the vets.  It is just that we tend to diagnose what
we see and few horse owners take their horses to the vet for anything
that isn't oozing, bleeding, swollen, bruised, over-heated, dead
lame or infested.

I have not been on this list every long and I have no idea if this is
true, but I have seen a line or two that suggests chiropractic does
not have the favor here that it has in other places.  A good equine
chiro may be able to give you some strong insights.  The value of
regular chiropractic care for your horses cannot be over stated.

If you could send me some .jpgs of the horse I may be able to pick
something out that will give you a place to start looking for the
problem.

Now then, what about the fear factor?

That may very well be part of it but I don't think it's the root
cause because of how you described him - fear *bucker*.  You didn't
mention other manifestations of debilitating fear - jerking away,
blind fleeing, etc.  The fear aspect in horses is very easily dealt
with.  The bonder (I know, even I get tired of hearing it because it
is so elementary) makes a dramatic difference in that as well by
giving the horse a sense of place where it knows exactly what is
expected of it and it knows that it can supply that.

The closest I'll be to Ohio is 12/11-12/2000 and Murfeesboro TN
http://MarvWalker.com/clinic.htm (course I'll go anywhere in NA
someone wants to bring me to).  Endurance riders travel some
distances to race, if you want to bring him there I may be able
to help.

Don't ride this horse until you have discovered the cause of this
behavior AND taken concrete steps to correct it AND you are reasonably
sure the correctiion has lessened the danger.

Marv "There are somethings you can count on.  There are some things
you can't.  The trick is finding out which are which." Walker
--
Upcoming 2000 Clinics
Madison (Atlanta) GA Oct 14-15, 2000