FEI rides...

There is also the question of "proper attire" Your usual riding outfit WILL
NOT BE APPROVED.

*** I see you know how I dress on rides then... |-)  engineers tend not
to be a fashion conscious group... as your wife should know by now - being
married to one....

More seriously - the only time I personally saw the codes seriously enforced
was at the USET ride in NJ a number of years ago - which is a pretty formal place.
Other riders at  FEI rides said it was not a big thing to worry about...

Mike

have said that