Re: Re: sweet potato ok for horses?

> Isn't tomato a member of the nightshade family?  I was always told not
> to feed tomatos to horses.
>
> -Abby

Actually, potatoes are also in the nightshade family.  Definitely don't feed
the leaves or stems, ever.  Tomato pomace is a fairly common crop-residue
included in animal feeds, and although I can't think of any horse feeds that
specifically include it, I believe it's okay to hand out a small amount of
ripe, good quality fruit.  Never green or rotten tomatoes or potatoes.
Probably not a bad idea to minimize those as treats, however.  Better safe
than sorry.

Susan G