Alpha horses/horse herd/etc

    I've been "listening" for quite some time to the discussion of Natural
Horsemanship, Boiled Cabbage, round pends, etc. etc.    I don't spend a lot
of time "training" as I basically am a breeder whose horses go off to
someone else for "real" training.   However, I do have a herd of horses who
need management, and for years I have told people that the main thing in
getting along with the group is that I establish myself as the "boss hoss".
This is not done with whips, pain, etc., but with body language and a harsh
word or two (sometimes three) when needed (a smack, kick, or thrown bucket
in extreme cases, once a year or so).   Everybody here respects me and
accepts me as the boss.   Some do take a little longer and want to test a
little more, of course.    I have occasionally gone into the round pen for a
little additional work, but usually geared to a specific aspect, not just to
reinforce my "herd leadership" and have found it helpful.
   Actually, I hear Tracey saying she is indeed herd leader--she is just
using reverse psychology on Toc--which is quite reasonable in his case.
Didn't someone say that the herd mare who is leader does her leading by
"manipulating" the other horses, rather than by being aggressive?   I know
my old "second in command" (to me) was definitely the second-boss of the
group--but NEVER was aggressive.
    As an aside, I went to a pasture a few days ago where there were five
horses---four were mine and one was not, a Paint.   This Paint was young and
friendly, but also kind of pushy.   I wanted to work with MY horses and the
Paint came pushing in--I just "made myself big", pointed a finger away--and
said "GIT!!"  He got immediately.   I found out later that all of the people
who lived there were afraid of him because of his pushiness and felt they
had to shut him up when the kids were around---when all it would have taken
was establishment of dominance--being Boss Hoss.   I am not criticizing them
by any means, because all of them are non-horse people and were just afraid
of this big "brute".
   IMHO   Claudia