Re: RE: oat hay

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathy Mayeda" <kathy_mayeda@atce.com>

> I've noticed that the quality of the hay is a big issue with oat hay.
> The place I boarded at before was feeding oat hay that was too mature -
> like in STRAW!

> But a nice younger oat hay is pretty stuff, the horses like it, but
> I've only seen good oat hay at one boarding facility.  That's all I know
> about it!
>
> K.

I gave up on trying to buy oat hay for several years.....kept just finding
that really coarse stuff that had already lost the oats.....but I am feeling
REALLY smug, as I lucked into 4 tons (delivered and stacked) of wonderful
fine-stemmed, green oat hay.  The horses absolutely love it (picked at the
grass hay).

My plan is to primarily feed it this fall and get everyone nice and plump
going into winter-and to feed it before the mice get into it.  You just
can't store and winter oat hay very well.  When cold weather hits and horses
are hungry, I have the grass hay they can always have in front of them, and
some nice
alfalfa......

It is really nice to have a choice.  BTW, the oat hay over at Del Mar
stabless (in Half Moon Bay), where sister Lynn boards Beauty, always seemed
to have just wonderful green, clean and oaty -oat hay,  Might call them and
find out who their supplier is.
Karen