Competitve trail?

Peggy dotgotcalm@aol.com
Hi! I'm suffering horse show burn out and am looking for something different to do with my four footed friends. I've heard about competitive trail rides but haven't had much luck finding any information on the subject. At the risk of sounding supremely stupid, could someone explain the difference between trail and endurance? Any links to information sources on the web?
Please, keep in mind that I know next to nothing about endurance riding, just a weekend trail rider! lol
Thanks!!