Re: RC: Helmet shelf life

>    Awhile back there was something mentioned about
> helmets having a shelf life of 5 years. Just wondering
> what is the basis for this, anything scientific? Or is
> this just the companies that make the helmets trying
> to generate more business?

I understand this to be an issue of aging of the materials in the helmet
so that they no longer can be guaranteed as passing certification
standards.  Sue, does Jessica have any more detailed info on this?
Teddy?  Anyone?

I would guess that you can contact the manufacturers directly.  We've
had good results with their customer service folks (all the mfrs,
really) on returns of damaged helmets, etc.  Our camp helmets are all
definitely worn to death by the time they reach 5 y.o., and many don't
live that long.

BTW - do y'all know that if your helmet sustains a significant impact
of  any kind you should send it back for testing?  Non-visible fractures
can impair the protectiveness of the helmet.

-Abby
--
* * *
Abby Bloxsom