Helmet shelf life

   Thanks to everyone for their input on rain gear and
riding in the rain. I got lots of great ideas to try.
   Awhile back there was something mentioned about
helmets having a shelf life of 5 years. Just wondering
what is the basis for this, anything scientific? Or is
this just the companies that make the helmets trying
to generate more business? I mentioned this to my
instructor who teaches eventing and she had never
heard of this. I was surprised as she is always up to
speed on stuff like this. So far everyone I've asked
about this outside the endurance field has never heard
of this. I would like to have the data that backs this
up to send to people that use helmets in other fields
like jumping and eventing.
    Ya'll are the most knowledgable group of
horse-people I've known so I know someone in ridecamp
can help me with this.
                       Thanks,
                  Penny