over-riders

Deanna German dgerman@earthlink.net
In some recent posts to AERC BOD candidates, there have been some
pointed questions about people who over ride their horses.

I would like to ask the group as somewhat of a newbie:  if you see or
know of someone who over rides their horse, whether at a single ride or
as a result of the cumulative effect of the season, what can be done
or said to these people to encourage them to change their ways?

I've always said that if you meet someone who takes care of their animals
exactly as you yourself would, you should marry them or adopt them. So
I accept that people have different standards of horse care. But there are
some examples of poor horse care that have shown up at some of
the rides I have attended.  I understand enough about human nature to
know that gentle persuasion is more effective than a ball bat. Heck,
I certainly don't know everything there is to know about horsecare
(when I think I do, something happens to make me eat humble pie),
so who am I to say anything? But I think it looks bad for the sport.

Any thoughts?

Deanna (Ohio)