Re: RC: dealing with refusals-how far do you push them?

In a message dated 09/24/2000 6:11:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
horselover32904@yahoo.com writes:

<< quick question- if you ask your horse to cross a ditch
 or go a certain way.(anything they do not like..), and
 they refuse, is it imperative to continue to force
 them?  when do you end the fight?  I am afraid that if
 i let her turn away, she will refuse again later on
 something else, but i hate to "beat"her into
 submission- Help!!

 I always start with a request, then a firm pressure,
 then a kick, then the crop..

 thank you- sonya

Dear Sonya,

Horses respond very well to pressure. You keep the pressure on until she
gives and takes a step. The important thing to understand is do not focus on
the whole goal at once (crossing the ditch). Instead focus on getting just
one step at a time. Keep the pressure on her (pressure can be your legs,
tapping with the crop, anything that motivates her to move). . start with the
least amount of pressure you can and just keep increasing the pressure until
the horse moves something. When using your legs it is not necessarily the
intensity of your legs it's how you use your legs. It should feel like you
are kicking a soccer ball with both legs. . .you want that rebound effect. It
has been my experience with horses that ignore the leg (dead to the leg) or
resist going forward altogether seem to respond very well and immediately
when you use you leg in this way. The upper level dressage horses
(Warmbloods) I used to ride as a teenager, would sometimes take quite a lot
of persuading initially to go forward.  If the horse does not respond to your
legs, tapping with the crop or both, sometimes you have to really get in
there,( keep it up ), and really let them have it until you get a response.
The horse needs to understand that leg/crop means move . . not "Well, I'll
just think about it." I guarantee you it will only take a time or two before
you will have a "true believer" of your horse.  When you get a step
IMMEDIATELY stop the pressure (kicking, or tapping). It is crucial that she
knows that when she lives up to her end of the bargain that you do also. The
important thing is to focus on one step at a time. With this method the horse
will quickly learn that pressure means to move something, and release of
pressure means reward. You've really got to be careful though. You have to
really assess the situation. If your horse is a solid trail horse, and she's
shouting at you "No I don't want to do this because it is Sunday today! "
then the above method may be applicable. Number 1 is your safety. If the
horse is telling you "No, I don't want to threw the ditch there are Bogies in
the bushes on the other side" then you really have to make a decision as to
how you think the horse will react. You certainly do not want to push the
horse threw the ditch, and in turn she does a flying leap over it, and you
fall off and break your neck. Nothing is worth that. There is no shame in
getting off if you feel it is safer. A lot of times I just get off when
riding my Greenies or young horses if they are rattled by something. But, I
know that at that point in time I am safer on the ground, and I know for a
fact that by getting off they are not going to jump ontop of me. Most of the
time the green horses that I am riding will just follow me and say "Oh that
was all I was afraid of?". The next time it is hard wired into their computer
(brain) and it is never an issue ever again. I cannot stress enough to you
that if you do not feel safe getting off and leading the horse . . if you
even think she may jump ontop of you, do not do it.
Maybe, try asking for a step forward and then a step back and, and then two
steps forward, and one step back. This engages the horse's hindquarters and
takes their mind of what was initially bothering them. Get her to do
something you want, not what you don't want. If you really feel that she just
cannot handle a certain situation, there is nothing wrong with asking her to
go an alternate "safer"route until the she has more experience. In time she
will not be refusing anything (other than normal horse spooks) when she
understands perfectly the "deal" you make with her known as pressure (move
something) and release (reward). Please E mail me if you have any questions.
I'll be more than happy to help you out the best that I can.
Robyn