Re: Flaxseed

Flaxseed wouldn't be my first choice for a fat source.  It is an"oilseed"
(as are soybeans, cottonseed, etc) and does contain about 36% fat, but you'd
also have to feed almost 3 pounds of it to get the same amount of fat as one
cup of straight veggie oil.  Also, flaxseed is the same thing as
linseed---and linseed oil has a cathartic effect, meaning it can cause
diarrhea.  Hardly the effect you were looking for, although you would
probably have to feed a fair amount of flaxseeds to get serious diarrhea.
And the third reason is that flaxseed is fairly high in protein, which
should ideally be kept reasonably low in performance horses.  If you fed the
above mentioned 3 pounds to get a cup of oil out of it, you'd also be
providing more than half of the daily protein requirement---assuming you're
feeding an otherwise decent ration, the extra protein just isn't required
and doesn't provide any benefits in terms of energy, amino acids or other
nutrients that aren't better or more efficiently provided elsewhere.

If your horse is being picky about "processed" oils, first take a look at
how fresh your source is---that can make a big difference.  Liquid fats
exposed to air, heat and light turn rancid in about ten days or so, and
while *you* may not be able to tell the difference, most horses can, and the
picky ones will turn their noses up at it (and probably a good thing, too,
as rancid oils are a lot higher in free radicals).  Try keeping your main
supply of oil in a cool, dark place tightly capped (the frig is ideal) and
only open it up to pour off about a ten day supply into a smaller
container---and keep that smaller container in as cool and dark a place as
you can as well.  You might also try corn oil, most horses prefer it over
other types of veggie oil.  If all else fails, you might try offering one of
the "prilled" fat supplements, such as FatPak---it's offered with a caramel
or molasses coating that most horses like, and very few horses will refuse
it if you mix it into beet pulp or grain.  As it's a solid crystal as well,
it isn't slimy, which is what alot of horses object to.

Or, as Lif, suggests, you can try offering a cold-pressed oil---much more
expensive and nutritionally not different enough to be worth shouting about,
but it's an option.  If you do go that route, take extra care to keep your
supply absolutely fresh---no point in letting something that expensive go
bad. :-)

Good luck!
Susan G