Re: Re: Re: riding and calories...

> My husband claims you just can't look at calories burned.........but have
> look at heart-rate to determine aerobic activity...did they do this?

No, because there's no direct and accurate correlation between heart rate
and calories burned, either---the only accurate and direct measurement you
can use is by measuring the amount of oxygen you are using, which has a
direct relationship to energy production.  So you exercise while breathing
through a gas exchange system that measures the amount of air you are
breathing in and out, the amount of oxygen and CO2 within the volume of gas
you're breathing in and out.  Most good human exercise physiology labs have
the equipment, and an increasing number of the equine labs, so you can do
the same measurements on horses (once you convince them to exercise on a
treadmill while breathing through a mask---actually not all that difficult.)

Susan G