Re: Hips

>Haven't had to have the surgery myself, but darn sure know others who have,
>and who have ridden pain-free for the first time in a long time afterward.
>One was my dad's old hunting partner--several years ago--who was so crippled
>that he literally could no longer ride--and he pulled many a pack string and
>rode an awful lot of miles for about 10 years afterward, until other systems
>became limiting factors.
>
>Heidi

I've helped "install" quite a few total joint systems over the years and
the biggest problems we'd see with patients returning shortly after their
initial replacement was for a dislocation.  Dislocations happen when the
affected leg is crossed too far past the midline of the body, like when you
would cross one leg in front of the other...some people being more prone to
this than others due to individual anatomical differences.  If it recurs,
they usually resolve it by putting in a "non"-dislocating socket.  The
other reason we see people come back with problems is for joint
replacements that have loosened up over time and they have returned for a
new cement job or one of the new type that don't need cement
(methylmethacrylate (sp).)

Our caretaker's wife has a bad hip and is planning on having it replaced
sometime in the next year...and she is ecstatic that this is going to be
done since it will mean that she will be able to ride again!!  Her doctor
has not put any restrictions on her future because of the hip -- and knows
full well that these folks live for their horses.  Pam has tried to ride
with the bad hip but, after a couple of hours or so, she is so painful that
she has to be helped down and can't walk for a while.

Sue

-------
Sue Brown
Tyee Farm