Re: "Sleepy" trick?

> Kimberly aliakey@yahoo.com
> Has anyone literally "put their horse in sleepy mode" by loosely sticking
> a lead rope through the horse's mouth, like a bit>
> I was just curious if anyone knows of something that would trigger
> this "sleepy, pacified" mode with the lead rope.  I'm going to try
> this one-rat research a few times more to see if it was just a fluke,
> or if I really have a cool trick to get her to cooperate with her trims.
>
> Thanks in advanced!
>
> Kimberly

Let me share the trick from our new local vet from U.C. Davis.  Last winter
my weanling had to go in to have a bad cut on her back cannon bone stitched.
She had had her feet and legs handled, and was
VERY good, but finally, despite trank, got antsy.  We tried the shoulder
pinch, lip pinch, rubbing and distraction, and finally I asked the new vet
what was the new thinking on all this new-age snout massage, and what might
work.  She looked at me a minute, then said she would show me what worked
and she proceeded to knock rapidly and firmly between the eyes..........said
it was all sinus and seemed to just zone them out..........darn if that
filly didn't just stand there while they finished the stitching.....

Karen (believer of school of hard knocks?)