Re: RC: splint boots

At 3:04 PM -0400 9/21/00, SquareRock@aol.com wrote:
>Hey All
>
>     Have quick question - what is opinion on splint boots?  I'm looking at
>Prof Choice Sports Med II or the PC Competitor.  The SM adds a lot more
>support, but am torn, the Competitor is much lighter and just protects inside
>the leg.  How many condition/race with them?  Why?  He has no injuries, but
>would like to protect against cuts, etc.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>Linda
>Memphis, TN

After more than a dozen years of experimenting with different brands
of splint boots, I've come to prefer the Bar F model that has no
metal (there's one that has square rings that the velcro straps are
fed through.  The one with no metal is high-cut on the outside, and
the inside covers clear to the bottom of the fetlock/sesamoid.  Sheds
sand well.  Horses that rub (like my mare will do, at vet checks)
can't engage their bit or hackamore  or curb hooks on anything.  I
don't put them on real tight, just enough to not turn when she rubs
on 'em, and stay up through our water crossings on our favorite
trails.

They wash up well and last a long time, come in spiffy colors like
purple, too.  Nothing wrong with the cheaper neoprenes, but I've
found they don't provide enough coverage for our particular need
(severely bruised sesamoid 2 years ago, that I'm wary of reinjury).

I'm extremely against the use of Pro Choice SMB IIs or SMBs for my
own horses in endurance, feel they retain way too much heat and
provide support inconsistently, the latter based on the skill of the
human putting the fetlock strap on, especially where there is no
therapeutic need for 'em.  I also don't like their QuickWrap splint
boots for our sport, also high heat and sand retention (anybody want
a pair?).  Their really lightweight model is ok for the horse that
just needs protection from cuts.

My mare has also dinged the same leg that had the injured sesamoid 3
times, in turnout and once in response to the rider in front of her
getting dumped.  If she didn't have this proclivity, I probably
wouldn't use boots at all except for trails known for big rocks.

Lynne
--
Ontario, California    http://www.lynnesite.com
ReactorPanel saddles http://www.reactorpanel.com