Re: RC: Desperado V

Hi Truman
If you look at some of our US National English Pleasure and Park
Champions you will see that many were race champions before importation
to the US. Obviously the horse is not popping knees at the track, but
yet extending in front--- grabbing the turf so to speak. An English or
Park horse has to have a big motor in back to be able to take the weight
off the front enough to "park" or pop and yes, training devices such as
chains around the fetlocks and bungie cords are used (the bungies are
actually fun for the horse--- becomes a game to stretch them, like
people do in the gyms). The weighted shoes, etc-- those are shortcuts
used by trainers unwilling or unable (owner demands?) to put in the time
to carefully bring the horse up properly.
In short, you cannot have a big trotter who does not have a big motor
BUT you CAN have a big trotter who does not have the capability to reach
out in front but instead "pops" in place almost. One cannot make
generalizations here about endurance potential from big hind end motors
because you also need the extension in front. Some got it....some don't!
Park doesn't preclude a great racer anymore than guaranteeing it. It's
the consideration of the WHOLE horse.
Oh, did I add IMHO (quickly before flames!)
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov