Newbie news and conditioning question

Well, folks, we did our second novice CTR last weekend. It was a mere 15
miles, but my little mare had to face hills 4 to 5 times bigger than the
ones at home. She did well, placing behind only two other horses for
whom these were home trails. One didn't know it was carrying anything
(featherweight little girl) and the other was that adorable appy ridden
by Deb Aldridge (funny how I don't mind coming in behind someone whom I
know works at this like I do).

I'm doing these CTRs to expose my mare to different terrain, increase
her speed without extending the distance and to get the score sheet so I
can see what I need to work on. I'm getting dinged on pulses,  but I'm
not really all that concerned about that at this point in time since I'm
pretty sure it's just the excitement of the event and the fact that I'm
doing LSD at home. Aerobic conditioning is in the form of "spook
aerobics" right now. (Spookiness has value!!)

The other thing I'm getting dinged on is muscle tone which is a measure
of fatigue in the hind end muscles. Since the first CTR back in July
(got dinged there too), I have really made an effort to get her working
off her hind end with hill work and flatwork. (Her hiney sure looks
better muscled.) We have hills, but, as I mentioned above, the hills at
this ride were a lot bigger than hills at home.

Other than that, she came in clean and sound with plenty of energy.

So is there anything in training I can do to eliminate these deductions
for muscle fatigue in the hind end at rides?

Deanna (Ohio)
and Salina (I'm turning 5 tomorrow!)