Re: RC: riding and calories...

In a message dated 9/20/00 9:19:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Michael.Maul@nsc.com writes:

I find this really hard to believe...

I can't believe that!  If you read the article, you noticed that it said
western disciplines don't use as many calories as English.  That's because
english riders POST the trot, which is a lot of work.  It doesn't take me
long to work up a sweat when I am riding in the arena, or out in the hills
conditioning.  We don't just walk along, and staying in balance takes
muscular effort.  It may not always be aerobic exercise, but plenty of
calories are burned.  Also it compared an hour of riding to walking/running
4-5 miles or bicycling 10 miles, each of which would probably also take the
average person an hour.  Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.   jeri