Re: New fear of horses

> Hello,
> I've been around horses and ridden already trained horses about 50
> times.  My husband bought a 2 yr. old arab X mare and I am sort of
> terrified of her.   She seems to be a great horse and behaves better
> around my husband but I can't shake this nervousness inside of me and I
> know that the horse senses it.  Is there any help out there for a
> potential rider?
> Thank you,

Yes.  That help is in the form of time, education and experience.

That nervousness inside of you is there for a reason.  It's there
to tell you to take your time and not get into areas where you will
be out of your league.  That voice is one that that only you can
hear and you can evaluate.  Don't let anyone else talk you into to
over-riding it.

Coupled with your uncertainty is the fact that you are dealing with
a physically and mentally immature horse.  Don't deal with her.  Let
your husband handle her.

Continue to learn with horses you are comfortable around.  Read and
question every bit of horse material you can find and try to see how
it applies to your experiences.  You'll be surprised at how your
confidence grows.

Don't be surprised if one day you discover you have learned and grown
to the point you grab her and say, "I'm in charge here.  Listen up."

It takes a little more than riding already trained horses about 50
times to reach any level of competence handling horses.  Your
recognizing your nervousness will be a great help to you.

You're doing fine, just keep working at it at your own pace.

Marv "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." Walker

--
Marv Walker ~ Kellie Sharpe
Mind Meeting Mind In Minutes Clinic