Re: RC: Re: cats & horses

In a message dated 9/20/00 6:43:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
skyranch@frontier.net writes:

<< I find this comment extremely offensive. >>

I know this is a touchy subject, and I don't care for the crude and cavalier
approach that some folks take to it, but I am likewise extremely offended by
people who are willing to jeopardize the health of my family and my livestock
with rabies (which is on an alarming rise in feral cats), decimate the local
population of small birds and small herbivores, subject the local cats to
outbreaks of FeLV, FIP, and other diseases, and who are willing to leave what
is basically a domestic species out to suffer without feeding or care.  I'm
personally not offended by shooting animals that threaten the health of my
own stock, and quite frankly, if rabies is a problem in your area, it would
behoove you to shoot feral cats rather than livetrap, unless you are
vaccinated.  (That is, unless you are fond of undergoing rigorous treatment
if you are accidentally bitten--not something I care to do, thank you
kindly.)  If rabies is not a common problem in your area and you prefer to
livetrap and place or euthanize, that is certainly a viable option.   But
maintaining a population of feral cats is putting OTHER people and their
property at risk--not something that is responsible or ethical.

Heidi