From: Kristine Hammond
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 2:44 PM
Subject: RC: cats & horses

Okay, everybody out there in ridecamp!  I hate to bother you people, but I have run across a problem in the Northern Nevada area that I need help with.  In the area where I am living, a farming community with a lot of open space, people are dumping animals right and left!!!!  This year alone our neighborhood has had over 80 cats dumped.  Does anyone know of an rescue organization that might specialize in cats around here???  When I say 80 cats I am being conservative!  Who knows how many the coyotes get before the cats find my barn or house porch.  My neighbors are having the same problem.  So........it makes me sick to see all the stray animals around here, but I have all I can handle, and then some.  My neighbors are dealing with the same issue.  One of my neighbors has obtained the humane traps that the humane society supplies and has begun trapping the stray cats in them.  He is taking them out to a remote area and dumping them.  Although I understand his sentiments...........he has 24 cats that he feeds and cares for, plus other animals,  I would like to see these cats go to some other place.  I can't take anymore, and most of my neighbors can't take anymore either.  The other issue we have to deal with is the unspayed females that people dump who then have kittens, the mother gets eaten by coyotes, and we all find the humgry starving kittens wandering in our horse pastures!!!!  So far this year my horse pasture has sponsered 9 of these orphans.   Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.
Kriss
PS-I believe in neutering and spaying, so please no comments about this!!!