Re: hints on ponying

You already have the main ideas, so here are a couple of mine.

I used one of those short bungee ties clipped to the mare's halter I was
ponying, and to that attached a normal lead rope that I held onto.  When she
would stop or pull on the rope that I was holding, it wasn't so much of a
jolt to me.  Also, if you have to drop your rope, if the ponied horse steps
on the rope there is some give and it seems to keep the horse calmer.

We had luck training the horse to be ponied by having me holding the rope
and having someone else riding along behind the ponied horse.  He stayed
clear in case the ponied horse kicked, but he was able to give the ponied
horse (she's 20, very strong, shy and hard to deal with) some idea of where
to go.

We were able to pony my 'ole grey mare 7 miles to her winter pasture cross
country, and it was safe and FUN. :-)  We crossed creeks, climbed hills,
went through brush, and this system worked GREAT.

Happy & safe trails!

(Colorado)