Re: hints on ponying

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott & Dede Johnson" <scottj@cyberlynk.com>

> Does anybody have any hints on ponying a horse?  Tried it today for the
> first time on my two pasture potatoes (the 2 for 1 special) and it went
okay
> but I'm not sure if I'm doing it the best way.  Safety is my primary
> concern.  Thanks!
>
> Dede

Hi Dede!

A few lessons from the Mountain Packer's School of Hard Knocks :-):

1.  Teach your riding horse how to tolerate, and maybe even *like* a
"tailwrap".  A tailwrap is a term we use when the ponied horse's lead rope
sneaks under your riding horse's tail and says "Hi!".   Most horses
unaccustomed to this invasion of privacy begin to do some of those fancy
Dressage moves you see in the Olympics... in-place cantering in a circle,
trotting in place, and a few may even throw a few High School rearing
maneuvers in as well, just for entertainment purposes.  Just get your horse
used to feeling a lead rope around that, ahem, "area", then up to the dock
before you try any ponying if you want to keep the equine dramatics down to
a dull roar.

2.  You didn't describe the personalities of each horse... so...
      If the ponied horse is a basketcase or a youngster, you may want to
carry a crop to help educate him on the proper side to walk or trot along
(the right).   Of course, no self-respecting packer would carry some refined
piece of english riding gear along, so we would use a long, skinny tree
branch instead.  It just gives the ponied horse a physical barrier to
avoid --- no hitting or anything of that sort is recommended.  Just be
annoying.

3.  Until your hand becomes a hard, calloused piece of tanned rawhide, you
may want to bring a set of close fitting leather gloves along.  Some ponied
horses get bored after awhile and decide to venture to that pretty spot of
off-trail green grass on their own, unconcerned about the lead rope and your
arm somewhat connected to the halter.  Rope burns really hurt.  Hey, but at
least the ponied horse obeyed the riding crop and wandered to the right,
yes?   :-).

4.  If your riding horse has a "mare-ish" personality, this could work in
your favor.  For example, my old mare Lee would give a nasty face, bare
teeth, and pin those ears if a mule even *dared* to venture towards her hip.
Our trails were extremely narrow, so the "string" has to stay in a single
file.  Lee NEVER kicked, and that is very important in your riding horse.
Don't ever let 'em kick!

5.  Never, ever, tie off to the saddle horn.  You can't pull the rope loose
fast enough to avoid a disaster.  I watched a novice packer (who never
listened to a "girl's" advice 'cause he knew it all and
girls-don't-belong-in-the-backcountry) fall several hundred feet down a
granite slope because he tied off a new mule to his saddle.  Mule, riding
horse, packer (who's leg was secured to the saddle by the tightened lead
rope) fell because the mule spooked at a marmot and headed north on a
east-west trail.  Luckily, the mule, horse, and packer were spared serious
injuries, but all were laid up for weeks --- they were lucky... very lucky.

6.  Teach the ponied horse to respond to verbal cues, such as "whoa",
"walk", "eeeeeasy", and so on.  This will help a whole lot if you want to
prevent unnecessary dragging of either the ponied horse or you :-).

7.  Wear denim jeans or if you prefer, leather chinks or chaps over jeans if
you plan on ponying for a good distance.  The rope will sometimes run over
your right leg and can wear a hole ('nother reason not to tie off on the
saddle horn).

8.  Not necessary, but helpful:  It does help to teach your horses how to
ground tie in case you need to climb off for any reason.  Sometimes,
unannounced potty breaks happen :->  .

Hope it helps!

Kim

(and Lee, QH-mutt mare with an attitude and self-proclaimed Ruler of mules)

Lubbock, TX  (where there be no mountains  :-(  )