Fwd: RC: Acorns!

---- Begin included message ----
Bonnie,
Sorry about that last letter with absolutely nothing on it. It's early and
I'm still sleeping. Went to a CTR and Endurance ride this weekend and still
catching up on sleep.
Anyway, as far as acorns and red oaks go, in my Horse Owner's Field Guide to
Toxic Plants, it says "All oaks produce acorns containing tannin, and most
have gallotannin in their leaves and bark. These parts are the most toxic and
can cause severe problems if eaten in great quantities. Young buds also cause
problems in the springtime.
When ingested in great amounts, tannin kills the surface cells of an animal's
digestive tract and enters directly into the blood stream from the
gastrointestinal tract, causing anorexia, constipation, rough coat dry
muzzle, abdominal pain, thirst and frequent urination. Bloody diarrhea
develops as a result of intestinal ulceration and necrosis. Kidney and liver
damage will be apparent within a week of ingestion and often cause death.
Symptoms may last 3 to 10 days, but death occurs about 85 percent of the time
unless treatment is administered before the animal consumes much of the
plant.
What to do? Call your vet of course. Calcium hydroxide may be administered
orally via nasogastric tube to help prevent further absorption of the poison.
Intensive intravenous fluid therapy is necessary to help prevent kidney
failure."

I have a new pasture and the horses were chewing on the trees. So, we
"painted" them with a vegetable oil and hot sauce mixture. Worked like a
charm. I don't know what you should do with the acorns. Maybe start breeding
squirrels or something.
 Have a good day. Deb
---- End included message ----