Unloading from a Straight load:

Hi ridecampers!
I want to tell you about a horse that I am leasing/buying and ask a
question.
I went to a local state park here in Kansas and rode a 6 year old
1/2 arab 1/2 mustang gelding this Sat. His name is Casper and he
has a history of some abuse. Mary Kofod bought him back from the previous
owners to save him from the sale barn(seems the youngest kid was short
tempered)
She took him under wing and really has turned him around. I really like
him
and he has a hell of a walk and a easy to sit(not that I want to) jog
trot.
When he loaded to be taken to my place all was O.K. Now here is my
question
Have you ever had a horse not want to get out of the trailer ?
How did you get them to back out?
I think that I did not do this the right and safe way Sat night.
If he had not been abused I would not question what I did as being the
right way
but thinking in hind sight I am concerned.
Here is what happened and what I did (yes flames are coming and I will
accept them)
When arriving at the barn I immediately went and asked the owner if he
would help me
as I was not sure how the horse would come out of the trailer.
I proceded to the front of the trailer and untied him.
I then asked the owner to take down the butt bar and step aside.(he did
so)
I then asked the horse to back up, he did so but banged his shins on the
back bumper.
He then proceded to come forward back into the trailer. This happend 3 or
4 times with
us taking time out to talk quietly to him. He just would not  get his
back feet out and stand
there. He would madly scramble back into the trailer.
We finally got him out by placing a lunge line on one side of his halter
and using the lead
rope on the other side. We had to pull firmly but hard to keep him from
going back in
and finally with a few scrapes got him out.
I just know there has to be a better way ( he really wanted to turn
around thus the 2 ropes)
I know having shipping boots on his back feet would have kept him from
banging his shins so hard but what else would you have done differently?
By the way the partition is not full but does not come out or swing in
this trailer.
Time? More patience?       It was dark (after 10:Pm)

Pat Razzel and new boy Casper (the grey ghost)