runaway-lost horses

Hi RC.  We had a horse in our local club (ETI Corral 35) who got lost on a
group campout up on Big Bear Mountain.  When he took off, campers
immediately went after him on horseback..bareback, didnt even saddle up.
Some took off in trucks.  The wierd thing was that he left the group, left
camp and the other horses, and just split.  They never found him.  Its been
a couple months. They had signs up all over. We even had the horse Psychic
out as a group activity (FUN, and that's another HOT TOPIC!) and she tried
to pinpoint his location on a map.  However..he must have been moved after
she pinpointed him 'cause he wasn't around.

Following a fire-evacuation thing, and a lot of temporarily misplaced
horses, our club had meetings and discussions and most of us went to putting
I.D. tags on the horses, for evacuation purposes.  I get dog tags from the
pet store, and have them engraved with horse's names, owner, phone and
address.  I have tags on my halters, bridles, and saddle.  We put name tags
on the stable feeders too. Some people even put tags on themselves in case
they get knocked unconscious. (Happened-amnesia)  It's cheap and easy.

Constantly watching out for fire in the Pasadena area...Beth