Re: RC: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #1471

NdurN@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/14/2000 4:12:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:
>
> << I am in Ohio and I have titled and registered by horse trailer (34 foot,
> 5H with
>  LQ) as a "house vehicle"...same as "travel trailer" or "house trailer" in
> many
>  states.  I also had lettering put on my trailer stating that is is
> registered as
>  a recreational travel trailer.  I, so far, have zipped by weight station and
> no
>  one has chased me ( I tow with w Freightliner, so LOOK like a
> tractor/trailer). >>
>
> Forgot to mention you are driving under a Montana license.  Jerry Fruth also
> pulls with a Big Truck and he got stopped in Georgia this year and told he
> could not move until he got a driver with a CDL.  My point is just because
> you are "legal" does not automatically mean you will not be stopped and held
> by state cops.  My rig is a RV redesigned to be a horse trailer and I have
> been stopped for not pulling in a weigh station.  Beware Kansas....they
> stopped me this year and searched because of the "suspicious" bags on the top
> on my trailer.  Duh.....hay in the "hay rack"  Go figure.
>
> Susan

Doesn't matter...same in each of these states....

When the HP or cop pulls me over, I ask to see what statue his is basing his
reason for stopping me.  If he cannot show me or tell me, I get his badge number,
etc.

Ask Jerry Fruth...he won the battle in court.  It pays to have all the proper
documentation and KNOW your laws.

Most HP and cops do what they are told (like much of the world) and do not
THINK.  They THINK you are "commercial" just because you have commercial plates
or are a big rig and LOOK like you are commercial. If you are NOT in business and
do NOT fall under the federal or state regs, SHOW them, and if they cannot answer
with LAW, then they may still write you a ticket, but you will probably win in
court (as Jerry did).

Personally, I avoid court, so I carry much of the documentation with me and SHOW
them.  So far, no tickets, no courts.

But, it does NOT stop them from pulling you over......(and wasting your time).

--
Teddy Lancaster

American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422
- Member since 1974
6000+ career miles

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
Your Trail Riding Equipment Headquarters - Celebrating our 20th Anniversary!!!!
Teddy Lancaster, President
1348 Township Road 256
Kitts Hill, Ohio, 45645 USA  -  http://runningbear.com/