FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I've been doing some intellectual meandering over the past few days, and my mind has taken me down some twisted, and occasionally, hazardous paths.  I've come to a few startling conclusions, but before sharing them with anyone, I wondered what you all think about the following:

1.  Do horses "pick" their sports?

I was wondering this because of the worries I've been having over Toc.  A while ago, a friend did a little schooling with him for polo-crosse.  Not a lot, just some basic skills, but Toc took to it like a duck to water.  We didn't pursue it because I was worried about him being hurt, and also you're not allowed to use stallions for polo-crosse, and I was worried about Toc's "status" as gelding.

The other day, in the arena, there were some jump cups on the track.  Too lazy to get off and more them, I inverted my dressage stick and "flicked" them out of the way.  The effect on Toc was too weird : his ears pricked, he shuffled round and "positioned" me over the cups, and he got all on his toes as if to say "yes, mum, that's more like it".  Now, this horse has never played a match - he's had a grand total of a half hour's lesson a year ago, but he remembered it.  Maybe he's telling me something?

2.  How much does breeding count with regard to temperament?

I know breeding is a factor in choosing a horse for a particular sport, and that there are certain genetic characteristics which predispose certain horses to certain disciplines.  But is it possible that temperament can be inherited, too, and that, no matter the upbringing, it will present itself.  Toc's sire's breeding is impeccable, but when people hear about his dam's side, the standard comment is "brilliant racers, good jumpers, but minds?  No thanks."  Any thoughts?

I'm not wanting to start anything controversial here, just wondering about other's experiences.  I know it is also probably not endurance-related, so Ridecampers can post me privately (unless it is endurance-related?)

Tracey