Re: Re: RC Three important questions to think about

Sheila wrote:

>Hey, I heard about a very experienced and popular vet
>from the Pacific side asking riders at a pre-ride
>meeting three important questions to think about.  The
>answers were given at the Saturday night awards
>banquet.  The questions were:
>
>1.  What do you do when/or if you get your horse out
>of his trailer at a ride and you see hard feces coated
>with mucus?
>2.  When/or if your overtired gelding collapses and
>falls off the trail, do you treat him with bute or
>Banamine without a vets opinion?
>3.  When help gets to your injured, fallen off the
>side of the trail horse, do you tell him that you have
>given any medications?
>
>Think about it.  Important stuff to know.  Shall we
>discuss it?

I'm probably going to display my ignorance here, but I'm keen to learn, so
please correct me if I'm wrong:

1.  Check to see if the horse has eaten from his hay net.  Check hydration.
Offer him water.  Check his colour and temp and pulse.  Call the vet, and
walk the horse while I waited for the vet to arrive.

2.  I use nothing until the vet's been : don't want to mask symptoms.  Just
keep him quiet.

3.  I don't use meds, but yes, I'd tell him if I had.

Tracey