Re: RC: Re: Re: Training ride today

> << > Lets put you on one of these well-trained horses, in back of 50 horses
>  > taking off at a trot and canter-can you control that horse every time?

>  If I can't, I will use a running martingale if I have to, but if I can't
>  I will also go back to the basics with the horse when I get home so I
>  can get rid of the blasted thing. >>

Perhaps I should have said "Control? Maybe not totally.  Stop? YES.

Took reading Heidi's answer to see my wrong.

> In almost 3 decades of endurance, on multiple horses, I've only had ONE horse
> on which I had to use a martingale, and only briefly.  (And that wasn't
> because he would run away--it was because he would get mad and pop his head
> up in your face--so it only came into play when he did that specific thing.

That's really the only reason I've ever used one.  My mom used to come
home with black eyes from her old horse, and I've sworn to myself (& my
kids) I won't.

>  And if a horse
> ISN'T able to be controled, IMO, he is not yet ready to be there.

Yeh - you shoulda SEEN the mare I used to ride as a kid ;) ... In the
olden days I couldn't ride with my mare's buddy because they didn't pace
well together, so I always had to mount up before she left and wait
several minutes to start.  A neighbor once watched us waiting for our
turn , and said "Abby, are you interested in starting our filly for us
when she's old enough?"  I think they figured I wouldn't get hurt ...

I ride a bit more conservatively now, but I have totally been there &
done that!

-Ab