Re: RC: use of running martingale? Long!

> I do believe it's possible for
> one man's gimmick to be another man's tool - and not be a bad thing.
- and I also believe that it's possible for one man's gimmick to be the
*same* man's tool.  That's how I feel about martingales in general.
They are tools, but generally misunderstood and hence end up being
gimmicks for the general populus.

<long snip>
> My mare had a major problem with evading obstacles - water, scary trees,
> horse eating rocks - by tossing her head (which turned into a small rear)
> and spinning away.  I had several suggestions (many of which were to address
> the more fundamental problems which we have taken and are working on) and
> several were to try a running martingale.  I did try this and it really
> seemed to make some sense.  My mare was immediately different - she mostly
> wasn't affected by it, until she was trying to evade something and then
> seemed calmer and more willing to stop and think rather than power away.  We
> also had some success with the ground training I was working on and a clinic
> brought a major breakthrough for us.
>
> But soon the running martingale didn't make sense - really, it went from
> where I would look at the effect it had on her from the point of view of my
> hands and reins and it seemed logical, to a point where it didn't.  I think
> this was a difference in how she was holding herself - it was just no longer
> needed.  I'm no expert, especially in this area, so maybe it was just my
> point of view that changed, rather than the horse.  But we've had a lot of
> success in other areas, so the martingale is no longer needed, if indeed it
> ever was, for this mare.

This, Marlene, is the appropriate use for a running martingale.  You
discovered for yourself how to use it, and when not to.  You utilized it
as a stop-gap to prevent the rearing that you knew from experience was
imminent. At the same time, though, you used other techniques to retrain
the horse.

As I have developed my riding abilities and my experience, I have
learned what those other techniques are, and *when* to use them - I use
them earlier and earlier now, because I can see problems coming before
the horse does.  I also know better how to use my aids in such a way
that any evasion is minimal and short-lived, as much as possible.

Here's the story of your horse:
> I started his
> training, but got stuck because he seemed very lazy in the round pen and
> arena and I couldn't figure out how to train with no forward motion.  >This horse also kept
> putting his nose on the ground and I couldn't figure that out - assuming
> some sort of evasion of the bit???  But he also did it with just the halter
> on if I asked him to bend.

>Anyhow, the
> trainer used a training fork on him.  It looked the same as what I was then
> using as a running martingale on my mare, but supposedly it's different -
> any ideas?
The two pieces that connect to the reins are connected by running thru a
ring, so that it's possible to use the reins independently while
maintaining even tension from the martingale on both reins.

>At one point I asked the trainer how he had gotten past the
> horse putting his nose to the ground and he looked at me curiously and said
> he never tried that.
>
> So I rode the horse several times at the trainer's (and by the way, the
> laziness in the arena was just that
> Then I brought the horse home and about that time had the breakthroughs with
> my mare and took off the martingale and quit using it with the gelding too.

>He's
> an exceptional horse (geez, what am I going to do with two great horses?!?!)
> and is just eating up miles on the trails.

>Only issue - a couple times now,
> at the canter, he's stuck his nose to the ground.
>I'm very proud that I
> managed to stay on
>I am trying to be very mindful of
> his mouth and he's shown no tendency to go running off,

> So my question is - what should I be looking for as a cause and should I
> consider putting the running martingale back on - maybe just to give him
> support when he needs it, or to save myself from going over his head?

SO - here's my spin.  You used to be pretty happy with this horse, but
were afraid to really use your legs into your hands for fear he might do
something scary.  So he learned to hang on you.

The trainer got him moving forward, so it didn't occur to him that he
should hang - hey he was having fun going forward!

You're starting to feel more secure, but I'm guessing you still don't
*really* use your legs on him (he goes now, right? maybe you don't have
to?).

He's feeling more secure - quite athletic, with his round canter and big
motor - and is playing with your reins because he can.

> All opinions welcome, even those that say there's no way I should think of
> putting the martingale back on (cuz I'd rather not)- but please give me some
> alternative direction to go in.

No I don't think you need the martingale again, since that is for a
completely different problem. (frankly, I'm not sure you really needed
it with him anyway) You may, however, find you need a crop. (in my barn,
known as a "stick" or "whip" but for some reason I don't know of not a
"crop")

And here's the alternative direction:  Use your legs!  Be prepared,
because what you want is turbocharged forward motion. When the nose goes
down -BAM!- the legs go on!  Send him forward, and his head up with your
_legs_.  When the head comes up, soften the aid, pat him, etc. Let him
slow his canter to the relaxed pace.  Repeat it EVERY time his head goes
down.  YOU need to believe you can send a horse forward and live through
it.  HE will believe YOU.

Good luck.
-Abby B