Fw: A SPECIAL E-MAIL UPDATE FROM HORSE JOURNAL'S OCTOBER ISSUE

Title: A SPECIAL E-MAIL UPDATE FROM HORSE JOURNAL'S OCTOBER ISSUE

----- Original Message -----
From: Horse Journal
To: RUN2FAST@NEO.RR.COM
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 5:47 PM
Subject: A SPECIAL E-MAIL UPDATE FROM HORSE JOURNAL'S OCTOBER ISSUE

A SPECIAL E-MAIL UPDATE FROM HORSE JOURNAL’S OCTOBER ISSUE

A Staten Island, N.Y., horse was euthanized August 20 due to West Nile encephalitis, the first equine case this year. Last year 25, Long Island horses were diagnosed with the disease and nine died. "WEST NILE KILLS HORSE" provides a list of symptoms that includes initial signs like depression, loss of appetite and fever. Spread by mosquitoes, your best defenses against West Nile are mosquito control and immune building supplements (see March 2000).

As autumn arrives, the number of old horses that get an impaction starts to rise. Some reasons are seasonal, including the primary culprit, failing pastures. "THINGS TO CONSIDER AS THE SEASONS CHANGE" gives fall weather horse care guidelines focusing on prevention. Solutions: getting early dental attention each fall and avoiding large, tough stems in the hay.

"REIN ADDITIONS FOR FEEL" focuses on this interesting and controversial piece of tack. Most of the disagreements stem from their questionable legality in competition. Our advice is to get clarification from the AHSA first and avoid any confusion. As to their functionality, we suggest rein additions be used by beginner- and intermediate-level riders who need help developing their hands. Our first pick would be Soft Hands ($12.95) because they have the most normal feel and a comfortable give.

<**282B514**>