Re: RC: [Fwd: Training ride today]

That's right Olivia, I spoke to a friend today about that and she told me the
exact same thing.  By the way over the last two days he has quit doing that and
just gently releases the bit.  I think Sue Brown has the right idea on this
one.  He is 5 years old and he probably needs more time for his back muscles to
strengthen.  I usually do two the three weekends light work and one weekend
heavier work and just started this last weekend.  He only exhibited the high
nose after a couple hundred feet of canter only, head was down at the trot and
at the beginning of the canter too.  At the walk he usually picks up a mouth
full of grass when the opportunity.

Olivia Greene wrote:

> Don -
>    You said something in the below post that I feel compelled to comment on.
>   If you wait long enough for your horse to realize the bit is no longer
> attached to the bridle, I'm pretty sure he'll lower his head and gently
> release the bit.  Horse's usually cradle the bit with their tongues when
> ridden, and are sometimes worried the mouthpiece will hit their teeth when
> the bit is removed.  It's just my suggestion, but I'd bet your horse would
> appreciate your allowing him to release the bit instead of your pulling it
> out of his mouth.
>
> - Olivia
>
> >From: Don Pollock <donp@dcr.net>
> >To: Farafix@aol.com, Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> >Subject: RC:   [Fwd: Training ride today]
> >Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:41:31 -0400
> >
> >I appreciate your input, the non jointed Kimberwick I use does not cause
> >any
> >other problem with him, he takes it just fine, doesn't throw his head any
> >other
> >time except when I mentioned, and when I disconnect the bit from the halter
> >bridal he still holds the bit in his mouth and I have to tug on it for him
> >release it.  Go figure that one.
> >
> >Farafix@aol.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Don,
> > >
> > > I must have overlooked your original post, but noticed in your reply to
> > > Colleen that you mentioned you use a ported Kimberwicke bit ---- that
> >could
> > > make your horse throw it's head up (it sounded like head throwing was a
> > > problem).  Putting a martingale on the horse might make it feel really
> > > trapped.
> > > My Arabs are pretty sensitive in the mouth --- I've had good luck with a
> > > broken kimberwicke (like a snaffle with a curb chain), but the ported
> > > Kimberwicke doesn't work well with them --- might work ok with another
> >horse,
> > > however!!!
> > > Excuse this if I mis-interpreted the problem you're having.
> > >
> > > Nancy
> > > Md
> ><< donp.vcf >>

> http://profiles.msn.com.
begin:vcard
n:Pollock;Don & Linda
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:donp@dcr.net
note:JR- OOH DADDY,  boy them hills are tuff but I love 'um.
adr;quoted-printable:;;Oak Hill Farm=0D=0A1400 Birdie Road;Lawrenceburg;Kentucky;40342;
fn:Don & Linda Pollock & JR n Bay Star
end:vcard