RE: RC; Chiropractors

The lay chiropracter I used once used the long lever
"Maybrey" (sp?) method from Australia, and used the
whole hind leg for an adjustment.  Very scary, but effective.
Not something that even proponents of equine chiropractic
is prone to toot their horn about, and looks like it is
very dangerous without proper training.

Nancy Elliott, DVM uses "short lever" techniques, and
a lot of times I miss the whole manipulation, thinking
that she was just palpating.  It's mostly knowing where
to place your hands and at what angle to thrust and timing.
The manipulations take very little time.  There is a little
"twisting and turning" for the neck vertebrae, but done
very smoothly and quickly.

I've just finished my certificate in equine sports
massage, and the techniques described above do not
resemble any massage technique that I have learned so far.
Deep muscle massage takes some time and progressive
techniques to produce results, not the quick movements
that the chiropracter would use.

I have also witnessed a "chiropracter" off the track,
which is probably what ti is really hot about.  This
guy I would consider a quack.  He did a lot of
"deep muscle massage".  I also heard that this same
guy was promoting putting needles into a horses vertebral
spaces to put air in between vertebrae!  Scary. Run, run,
run when you hear something like this.  As far as I
know this guy has no formal training or certification
in anything, except he is a former race horse trainer.
Then he disappears for months, people say he owns a
restaurant in Missouri and stories like that, and
reappears again.....

K.