Re: RE: Chiropractors

This is outside the scope of chiropractic. The theory behind chiropractic is
that all disease is caused by misalignment of the spine (no fingers in
this). Now there are a lot of chiropractors (perhaps even most) that don't
take this theory to heart and may have some benefit - probably most similar
to simple massage. Then there are the ones that take the theory absolutely
(particularly those that went to 'straight schools' as opposed to 'mixed'.
There are those that want to treat everything - just look at the billboards
out there suggesting you see your chiro regularly for good health.

The few blind studies that have been done indicate only very modest help for
back pain (with simple exercises as the control) and none for ear infections
or asthma.

One of the more intersting things I got out of my and my wifes visits to the
chiro is the discussion of the x-ray and the all the things that were
pointed out that were wrong. But they basically refused to take x-rays after
treatment to see what changes actually occured.

Now I am not suggesting he didn't help your finger or your back or that
chiropractic is totally useless, but the field contains far more quacks
(income rather health being the primary objective) than traditional medicine
(and there are a few there, as well).

As for accupunture, it works for some things and the traditional chinese
terminology is useful. But in physics, the various forms of energy transfers
are well understood and some of the terminolgy that is useful is not
literally accurate.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net