Re: Chiropractors

In a message dated 9/11/00 4:46:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kathy_mayeda@atce.com writes:

<< Tom - what is your point, please?  Are we differentiating between
 equine chiropractors who come from a DVM standpoint, which many of them
 do, the lay chiropractor, or the equine chiropractor coming from the
 human realm?  Are these soft-tissue injuries you are talking about?

 Do you have objections to equine chiropracters?

 K. >>

Yes, I do. Manipulative techniques are questionable in human medicine, as are
another half-dozen "alternative" equine treatment modalities. Lasers,
magnets, infrared diodes, TTouch, "whispering", mind reading, etc.

To the extent that a medical person is focused on unproven "technologies",
that person is NOT focused on diagnostic medicine. What I routinely get from
DVM chiiropractors is the same quality of advice that I get from TTeam
practitioners--that is, without any diagnosis whatsoever, a "cure" is
predicted from the treatment practiced by that person for a hocus pocus
"diagnosis" that has absolutely no basisi in fact.

As an example, more than one DVM chiropractor goes around and diagnoses
equine herpes in every horse, and selling large buckets of lysine to
unsuspecting morons. Another gives you the "hold your arm up while I hold
this herb next to your heart" carney trick everywhere he goes. Others
practice elaborate hoaxes with "energy pathways" and "nerve blockages" , and
assorted fantasies that sell real well to women of the "unicorn" persuasion.

I try to deal with genuine medics as much as possible, and don't want to hear
about diagnoses regurgitated by the neighborhood quack. If you want to know
what a chiropractor can do for a horse, get Dr. James Rooney's latest videos
and listen carefully. Rooney was head of the Gluck Center in Kentucky and one
of the best clinical vets I've encountered. Seen it all, including every form
of quackery. Or ask any university clinical vet for an honest opinion.

ti.