Re: FEEDING BEER TO HORSES

What I found astounding is that this same person will insist that "vets know nothing about nutrition".  So why ask the vet?

Because they're usually the most available health professional, kind of a weird Aesculapian authority thing.  Besides, some vets *do* know alot oabout nutrition.  Just have to ask and find out.

Criticise away.  My vet is continually saying that he wishes he knew more.  Maybe I should give him your website address?

If he's in Arizona, tell him I'm teaching an equine nutrition short course through the American Association of Equine Practitioners next July in Phoenix.  Six hours and I'm gonna do my best to cause brain damage.

Alternatively "Oh God, another weirdo who will try something, claim it is "on vet's advice" and then bitch when it doesn't work".

Yes, same thing. <g>

Okay, please explain why?  Because you are taking eliminating everything else, or because there is some magical property to oats?

One, because suddenly adding 4-5 pounds of any grain to the diet is a bad idea.  Two, because there's no scientific argument as to why adding something else to a diet (short of antihistamines or steroids or the like) would overcome what is essentially an immune response gone overboard.  Three, because there are alot of reported cases of hives being *caused* by various types of grain (including just plain oats), but not *cured*.  Adding oats to make an allergic response go away is like trying to make a bee sting go away by finding a wasp to sting you as well.

It turned out to be an allergy to alfalfa.  Interestingly enough, the very same allergy he had had two years before.  Sheesh.  Who would have thought it wouldn't miraculously disappear during that 2 year period?

Bingo!

Susan G